Set up your new account abroad
If you’re thinking of investing, studying or working abroad, we can help you open an overseas account in more than 30 destinations around the world so you can start your international journey.
Why open an overseas account?
- Open an account for free with no annual account fees and free instant Global Transfers
- View all of your HSBC accounts together in one place
- Maintain a minimum account balance in just one home country/region
- Overseas property and education consultation services for HSBC Jade and HSBC Premier
- Transfer your credit history to your destination to give yourself a head start
- Enjoy the same HSBC Jade and Premier privileges and status across all HSBC countries/regions
How to open an overseas account
Open an account before you move
Your account abroad will be all set and ready to use, even before you arrive in your new country/region.
Arrange a call back
Leave your details to let us know what you're looking for. We'll aim to call you on your preferred date and time.
Complete your account application
Our International Banking Centre (IBC) will call you back to answer your questions and a dedicated case manager will help you complete your overseas account application.
Verify documents at a branch
We’ll book an appointment for you at your preferred HSBC branch to confirm your proof of ID and proof of address. Once verified, your new overseas account will be open in a few days.
Open an account once you've arrived
Or, you can choose to open your overseas account once you've arrived at your destination. Just book an appointment at a local HSBC branch and they'll open your account for you.
What happens next?
Once your account is open, you'll receive:
- Your new debit card and/or cheque book at your home or new address
- Further information and your PIN number
- A welcome call from our International Banking Centre to answer any of your questions
Things to know for your country/region
Documents to get ready
You'll need your proof of ID and proof of address to complete your application. You may need additional documents, but these are subject to qualification status, local laws and regulations.
Our International Banking Centre can provide you with more information on the documents you'll need for your country/region.
Account opening fees are waived for HSBC Jade clients and Premier customers. There are also no fees for moving money between your accounts using Global Transfers, and there are no annual account fees.
Please visit your local country or region's HSBC website for more information.