Top of main content

Planning the move

Start to research

You and your child should start to do this as soon as the words "study abroad" are mentioned. Learn about the host country, its local laws and customs, health information, safety tips, and travel advice or travel warnings.

Make a trip together

Explore the campus and check out public transportation around the university. Find out where the embassy locations are and have fun familiarising yourselves with the city or local neighbourhoods, including the cafes and corner stores. Your child will feel more at home when it comes time to studying there, and it'll give you peace of mind. Not able to visit the school beforehand? See if your school offers virtual campus tours or information sessions over Zoom.

Buy insurance

If your child is still under your health insurance plan, see if they'll still be covered in another country. The school may also offer student medical and travel insurance.

Secure accommodation

Some universities offer student housing, and this can be a good start for first-year students, especially. Renting is another popular option, or a home stay. Establish your budget and if you can, go and take a look at the accommodation in person.

Explore value-added services

Look for a roommate early

Some students choose to live by themselves or in the student dorms. If you'd prefer your child to live with a roommate, start looking for one as soon as you can. Organise a virtual chat. That way, they'll have a chance to get to know each other online before moving in together.

Apply for visas

Visas depend on the host country but validity will almost always depend on adhering to local laws and university rules. Some visas allow students to work while they study, or to stay in the country after they finish studying, such as the UK post-study work visa. This visa came into effect in autumn 2020 and allows international students to stay in the UK for up to 2 years.

Set up everyday banking

Talk to your bank about the move and find out what options you have to make it easier. They can help you set up automatic payments, or activate debit or credit cards for your child before departure. You may also be able to do this using online or mobile banking. If your child is leaving to study overseas, you may be able to open an HSBC bank account for them online before the move. This way, you can stay on top of their finances with our Global View Global Transfer service, even from afar.

Learn more about Global View Global Transfer in this video.

How to set up Global Transfers to send money overseas

Give your child more responsibilities

This is a good opportunity to teach your child about the importance of managing finances. If their studies allow it, encourage your child to take up a part-time job. They'll earn some pocket money while learning about the value of money.

Get connected with other families

There are a lot of forums online for students studying abroad, so get connected. The university is probably a good place to connect with other students, too. It's nice when you spot a familiar face.

Have a heart-to-heart

If you're concerned about your child's safety or other dangers, such as drinking alcohol or staying safe, this is the time to talk. Your child will be going off to school and becoming more independent. Treat them like adults.

Ready to open an overseas account?

We can tell you the best way for you to apply for an overseas account. Simply select your current location and where you would like to open an account. We'll then walk you through the steps.

Moving abroad to study is a big step in your child's life and an opportunity for them to become more independent. There's a lot to think about to ensure they arrive safely in their new host country. With careful planning, it's bound to be a rewarding experience for everyone.

What needs to happen now?


HSBC Holdings plc has prepared this article based on publicly available information at the time of preparation from sources it believes to be reliable but it has not independently verified such information. HSBC Holdings plc and the HSBC Group (together, "HSBC") are not responsible for any loss, damage, liabilities or other consequences of any kind that you may incur or suffer as a result of, arising from or relating to your use of or reliance on this article. The contents of this article are subject to change without notice. HSBC gives no guarantee, representation or warranty as to the accuracy, timeliness or completeness of this article.


This article is not investment advice or a recommendation nor is it intended to sell investments or services or solicit purchases or subscriptions. This article should not be used as the basis for any decision on taxation, estate, trusts or legacy planning. You should not use or rely on this article in making any investment decision. HSBC is not responsible for such use or reliance by you. Any market information shown refers to the past and should not be seen as an indication of future market performance. You should always consider seeking professional advice when thinking about undertaking any form of prime residential or commercial property purchase, sale or rental. You should consult your professional advisor in your jurisdiction if you have any questions regarding the contents of this article.