Top of main content

Countries with the best post-study work visas

In an international survey, 40% of students said that having the option to work after graduation was a factor when choosing where to study1. Post-study work visas let study abroad graduates work without restrictions, in almost any job role, for a few years before having to return home.

If you'd like to stay abroad after your studies, these English-speaking countries offer the best work visa schemes for international students based on length of stay.


In an effort to attract and retain students and workers as part of its skilled visa programme, Australia has extended its post-study work visas for Hong Kong passport holders to 5 years. You must be under 50 years of age, meet the English language requirements, and hold an eligible visa.

This visa allows your immediate family to join you in Australia. You must have adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay.

Length of stay: 5 years for Hong Kong passport holders; up to 18 months for the Graduate Work visa; and 2-4 years (depending on the qualification) the Post-Study Work visa

Acceptable qualifications: A degree, diploma or trade certification from a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) course, completed over at least 92 weeks

For more information, see the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs 'Post-Study Work stream' page.

United Kingdom

In 2018, three-quarters of British people surveyed said they supported the Post-Study Work Visa for international graduates. Until recently, however, international students could only stay in the UK for 4 months after graduation. This was extended further in 2020 under the Post-Study Work (PSW) visa "graduate route". Dependents of PWS visa holders who get their visa from 2021 will also "have near full access to the UK labour market and can work at any skill level"2.

There are now calls for the government to extend the visa to 4 years with the launch of a new International Education Strategy3. This reform would ensure that the UK remains an attractive destination for study abroad students.

Length of stay: Up to 2 years for graduates; from 2021, an extension to 3 years for PhD graduates; talk of extending this to 4 years

Acceptable qualifications: International students on a Student or Child Student visa, which replaced the Tier 4 (General) student visa in October 2020, who are enrolled in 2020 or after and graduate from a recognised higher-education provider

For more information, see the GOV.UK's visas and immigration page.

United States

The US has long been a popular choice for international students. There are two types of Optional Practical Training (OPT): the Pre-Completion OPT, to be used while the student is still studying; and the Post-Completion OPT.

F-1 visa holders must be in the country and apply no later than 60 days before the completion of their studies. They must also find a job within 90 days.

Length of stay: 1 year after completion of your course or up to 6 months for M-1 vocational visa holders; up to 3 years for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) graduates with a 24-month special extension following the first year

Acceptable qualifications: Students must have an F-1 visa to apply for OPT and be enrolled full time at an institution certified by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)

For more information, see the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services 'Students and Exchange Visitors' page.

Before you apply for a post-study work visa, check that you meet the application requirements. Visa criteria varies by country and region and can change without notice. Government immigration websites will have the most up-to-date travel restrictions and visas information.

Our country checklists for Australia, the US and the UK can give you more information about how to prepare for your move.

Preparing to return home or have you decided to stay?

There will be a million things to take into consideration, if you've decided to head home. Before you pack up your student life, check out our checklist to help you with this transition.


If you'll be working in your host country after graduation and already have an HSBC account at home, find out how to open an overseas account.


HSBC Holdings plc has prepared this article based on publicly available information at the time of preparation from sources it believes to be reliable but it has not independently verified such information. HSBC Holdings plc and the HSBC Group (together, "HSBC") are not responsible for any loss, damage, liabilities or other consequences of any kind that you may incur or suffer as a result of, arising from or relating to your use of or reliance on this article. The contents of this article are subject to change without notice. HSBC gives no guarantee, representation or warranty as to the accuracy, timeliness or completeness of this article.


This article is not investment advice or a recommendation nor is it intended to sell investments or services or solicit purchases or subscriptions. This article should not be used as the basis for any decision on taxation, estate, trusts or legacy planning. You should not use or rely on this article in making any investment decision. HSBC is not responsible for such use or reliance by you. Any market information shown refers to the past and should not be seen as an indication of future market performance. You should always consider seeking professional advice when thinking about undertaking any form of prime residential or commercial property purchase, sale or rental. You should consult your professional advisor in your jurisdiction if you have any questions regarding the contents of this article.

1 2020 International Student Survey

2 UK: work rights for dependants of PSW postgrads

3 Universities open to the world: How to put the bounce back in Global Britain